Workplace Politics?

I was recently asked whether competition and politics in the workplace can be avoided.  From what I have seen, it can't be avoided, but nor is it the same in all places. I wrote:

In my experience, while all workplaces have some dynamics like what you describe, the amount and quality of such dysfunction varies greatly. And depending on what kind of work a team is engaged in, it can have negative business (and personal) impacts, to varying degrees.
Here is my approach.
First, I acknowledge that the strict definition of “politics” is “how groups of people make decisions.” In that sense, politics are an inevitable part of being in social situations.
Second, I place my own tolerance for such activities relatively low on the scale of what I will spend my time and energy participating in. In fact, unless this stuff has a material impact on the business or my own personal ability to contribute to business outcomes, I consider it normal noise in the system. Not ideal, but inevitable.
Third, if this noise is actually impacting the company, I try to both not participate in it, and to politely and quietly point it out to people that should be concerned with the impact to the bottom line (the management hierarchy). In a healthy organization, when done well, this is welcomed and (to the extent possible) acted upon by those in power.
Fourth, I have to acknowledge that sometimes those in power derive some personal, professional or financial benefit from the situation -- or are powerless to change it. In those cases, it becomes a choice on my part whether to accept the things I cannot change, or to remove myself from the situation.
Fifth, I have to admit that at times, while I do not like such a group or team dynamic, it can be the goal of management to create such an environment — in the belief that it improves overall business outcomes. I haven’t found this approach to work in the kinds of industries I am familiar with, but I can’t say it’s an ineffective environment or culture in all places and situations. What I can say, when it appears that management is passively or actively encouraging such a situation, it is time for me to think about whether the other, healthier aspects of the job are worthwhile enough that I am willing to tolerate the toxicity.
Finally, while we each own our own behavior and choose to participate in such a culture, or not, I have observed that that kind of culture thrives or dies based on how management encourages or discourages it. 
So, if you are a manager who doesn’t want to see this “in fighting,” don’t blame your team for engaging in competitive behavior. Rather, examine how your own actions are allowing, encouraging, or enabling the situation. You have the power and the responsibility to drive change, far more than any other person in the situation, if you don't like what you see the members of your team doing to each other, and to your business.

Popular Posts