The Job Interview Question

I don’t know how many times I’ve been asked about how to ace a job interview.  But it has been frequent enough that it’s time I summarize much of it.  Here is what I do.
First “I do my research.”
Then, I prepare to answer the following questions:
  1. Why did you leave prior jobs?
  2. Tell us how you have solved problems and or achieved results in xxxxxxxxx situations in the past or how you would in the future.
  3. What can we tell you about this job?
Finally, directly before the interview, I do the following:
  • Do something fun, like go out to dinner or see a movie or visit with friends.
  • Then, get a good night’s sleep.
  • Eat a healthy breakfast.
  • Give myself an extra half hour more than needed to get to the interview.
  • Check in at least 15 minutes early.
  • Don’t schedule anything else for the hour after the interview, in case it goes long.
  • Turn off my phone or at least silence it before or when I greet the interviewer.
  • Be myself.
  • Illustrate all my answers with examples from my past, or at least my thought process if I don’t have any specific examples to share.
  • Remember that I am interviewing them, as much as they are interviewing me, and act accordingly.
  • Bonus points: I don't do this as often as I should but it can be helpful to look up the interviewer(s) ahead of time on LinkedIn and/or other appropriate social media. This will tell me how they want me to think about them, and possibly inform what topics we could discuss.

Popular Posts