Three quarters of employers regret recruitment decisions?

Well, this is one of those headlines it is quite easy to misread.

"Three quarters of employers regret recruitment decisions" sort of sounds like 3 out of every 4 new hires are a mistake.

Of course, that's not at all what this survey's finding means. Rather, the survey sought to know if a particular manager had ever regretted a hiring decision. That might mean one bad hire in a career dozens or hundreds of hires.

So really the remarkable thing about this survey's result is that the number is not higher. That is, I find it very suspicious that we don't have close to 100% of all managers admitting that at some point in their career they made a bad hire.

There are two likely explanations, and I suspect both work together to give us the stated results:

1) Some of the people surveyed are very new managers, who have made very few hires.
2) Some of the people surveyed are not being intellectually honest about their hires. I'd guess that the nearly 22% of "unsure" respondents fall into this bucket. We could call that the "yes, but I'm not ready to admit it" answer.

Me? I'd say anyone I hired, who falls into category two, is a hire I probably regret.





Source

Popular Posts